18 March 2013

SXSW 2013

sick.sick.sick.
crazy fun insane
how else to describe the event that was SXSW 2013. I'm exhausted. exhilarated. I can't get over what an experience the past week has been.
Did I mention I saw Prince????? in a 1200 person venue???? performing a show that was kicked off by Tribe Called Quest (what?!?) and included a 22-piece band, multiple costume changes and a 6-encore set????
Other Highlights of the week:  
Reignwolf! OMFG, if you have not seen this guy, youtube him.  a friend has recommended that I check this guy out for months now, so I finally got my chance and all I can say is- Whoa. Epic. and if the rumors are true, I think I may have gotten impregnated by some of his wolf babies. seriously. look it up.

Pujol! I finally saw them! twice in fact. just as awesome as I had hoped they would be. unfortunately I missed their showcase at Third Man's Rolling Record Store because the majority of Austin pedi-cab drivers I encountered that day were crooks and we could not make it to their area of town on foot in time. also missed them at Freakin' Weekend 4.5 due to the Prince show, but I'm glad I saw the two shows I did. one of my goals for SXSW was to see as much Pujol as possible, I consider it mission (from God?) accomplished.

Brendan Benson's Readymade Showcase including Eric Burdon and Cory Chisel!!!
holy cripes what an epic night! I'll admit I had harbored secret hopes that Patrick Keeler, reportedly in town for SXSW, would sit in on drums for Burdon's 'Black Dog'. however, that 'twas not to be. regardless Burdon and his band pretty much brought down the house with songs like 'Water' and 'House of the Rising Sun'. I was fairly close to the stage for his set and was practically crushed near the end by rude photographers and some pretty die-hard fans. nuts. worst stage rush of SXSW no doubt.

Burdon was followed by the humble and talented Cory Chisel and the Wandering Sons, one of the first bands to be signed with Benson's Readymade Label.





I'd not had the pleasure to see them before and I'm pleased to say that not only is he a great performer, his entire band is phenomenal and he seems a cool, chill guy to boot.
Adriel, his absolutely stunning fellow band mate, has a beautiful voice and plays a mean tambourine. From the sounds of it, they were having a great time in Austin, too.

Chisel was followed by the man himself, Mr. Brendan Benson. accompanied by one of my favorite all-around musicians, Mark Watrous, on keyboard and guitar, the rythmic Brad Pemberton on drums, and the ever-steady Bobby Lord on bass, they delivered a classic Benson show.













 The roughly 40 minute set included achingly beautiful performances of 'Cold Hands, Warm Heart, 'Bad For Me' (which brought several ladies in the audience to tears, I'm not even kidding!) Benson also brought out other songs from his recent album 'What Kind of World' like 'Pretty Baby' where he featured another Readymade artist that had performed earlier in the evening, the Holwin' Brothers Ian Craft, brought specially onto the stage to play the haunting fiddle accompaniment.

We'd also been fortunate to catch Brendan's Thursday afternoon show at the HGTV/Paste Stage on Sixth Showcase. The 30 minute set featured songs like 'Happy Most of the Time', 'Cold Hands, Warm Heart' and 'Good to Me'.














Pokey LaFarge and The South City Three (Five?)! again, another band we were fortunate to catch twice. we'd first seen them open Jack White's Red Rocks show last August. since then they've added a trumpet and clarinet player on a few new numbers, like 'Close the Door' and a welcome addition they are. their 30 minute set also featured traditional numbers such as 'Drinkin' Whiskey Tonight'. always a pleasure, this band is such a treat to see and listen to.

the days passed in a blur.  not only did we get in a visit to Third Man's Rolling Record Store.



I met Rob freakin' Jones at Flatstock 38 for God's sake! 

we saw so many other great artists and interesting interviews while at SXSW-



the super-talented Willy Moon who was playing his 10th set by the time we saw him but you'd never know it by the way he owned The Belmont's stage

Ashley Monroe, playing her first of many SXSW sets at Empire Automotive





BP Fallon and the Bandits! yes, that's right, BP Fallon and the Bandits playing with Scott Asheton of the Stooges and Barrie Cadogan of Primal Scream performing at the Dirty Dog Bar.
 





Turbo Fruits at Hotel Vegas- sadly, that was the only band we had time to see there, they had a fantastic line up all week long




Hacienda at Rusty's- our first time to see them again since they opened for the Greenhornes on their west coast tour in 2010. too many others to name.


Brooke Waggoner promoting her first solo album at Bar 96.




I've got quite a few new videos posted on my youtube channel if you care to check them out. 

2 comments:

  1. Amy, you covered lots of musical territory during your week...as I would have expected. I want to hear more about Prince of course and looks like you will have lots of stories and updates while we are in line at RSD @ TMR!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. and I can see I defo need to add Willy Moon, Reignwolf and Pujol to seriously check out.

    ReplyDelete