01 May 2014

REIGNWOLF!!!!!!

April 30th has stood as a date of infamy in my mind since 2009 when we saw the EPIC Dead Weather show in Austin at Stubbs on that date. I never thought anything that cool would happen again on an April 30th... until last night when Reignwolf finally came to Denver and BLEW OUR MINDS!


If you aren't already familiar with these Rock Gods, Reignwolf (a man and a band) are a three-piece face-melting ensemble featuring the phenomenally talented Jordan Cook (aka Reignwolf) on guitar and vocals, David 'Stitch' Rapaport on bass/guitar and Joseph Braley on drums. They have been gaining worldwide accolades since early 2013 for their wickedly scintillating electric blues.

Thanks to urgent pleas from a friend, we were fortunate to catch them at two SXSW 2013 venues, The Townhouse and The Stage. Completely electrifying, I have been taken with them since.

http://youtu.be/QYx6bVAqrKQ
Taken at The Stage, SXSW 2013. Click Above to link to Video.
I can not get over the amount of talent spilling out of these guys, particularly Cook who just takes it to the next level. As yet no official LP. Their published recorded material thus far consisting of an iTunes and limited vinyl release for their 'Are You Satisfied'/ 'In the Dark' single. Their popularity has steadily increased over the past year, primarily boasted by their Festival tour shows. They've spent that past month or so touring around opening for Sabbath, getting a taste of their destiny- Arena Shows.

Personally I've been anticipating this show since it was announced and I bought our tickets (the best $35 I've ever spent, mind you) back in February. Pretty sure this was one of our last opportunities to see them at a place this intimate. So, I was a tad worried early Wednesday evening when the boys posted an Instagram of their vehicle broken down outside of Denver...

Photo by Reignwolf
BUT they made it and put on ONE HELLUVA a show. 

Lost Lake is a pretty small venue here in Denver. I'd actually never seen a band play there before but I have to say, pretty fun time. Tiny place. Great sound. The stage is somewhat elevated, but you can get right up there so you know I did. Front and center. Let's do this.

After setting up their 'wall of sound' which was overseen personally by Stitch and Braley,


Jordan came out and kicked off the show off with a fairly blistering rendition of Electric Love.


With the curious crowd sufficiently awed, the rest of the band joined him onstage and proceeded to rip through 'In the Dark' and 'Lonely Sunday'.


I kinda went into 'holy-shit-I-can'-believe-this-is-happening-it's-too-surreal!' concert phase by that point but if I remember correctly Jordan then broke out his mandolin for a song or two. I do know by this point he was dripping with so much sweat he had to take off his beanie and leather jacket. Stitch and Braley took a bit of a break while he performed the Fleetwood Mac cover/highlight 'The Chain'.


It seems like there were a few other new-to-me songs in between 'The Chain' and ' Are You Satisfied' but I could be wrong. I was in full-on concert glow by this point- just taking it all in. Eventually they signed off, dripping sweat, leaving a packed-to-the-gills audience shouting their name, calling out with wolf howls, stomping our feet on the wooden floor- whatever we could do to get them back for ONE MORE SONG. Just as the guy standing next to me says 'is it normal for them to not do an encore?' Jordan comes back up, grabs the mic, tells us they couldn't leave Denver after their first time of playing here without something a bit more... they wanted to do something special... and this is what transpired... 

With the crowd sufficiently warmed up, the boys (David 'Stitch' Rapaport and Joseph Braley) joined him onstage and proceeded to rip through 'In the Dark' and 'Lonely Sunday'.
Click Photo Above for Video
... and I'm sure I don't need to tell you who was holding his microphone :)

Thanks Reignwolf!

1 comment:

  1. Awesome post and cool photos!! Keep rockin' Denver! :) Vel xo

    ReplyDelete